The X-Ray Study Group joint forces with the Lung Imaging Team. The Kick-off of this newly formed X-ray/Lung Imaging took place within the scope of the EMIM 2021. Interested in joining the group – just sign in!
Importance & Purpose
X-ray based imaging continues to be the most frequently applied diagnostic tool in clinical routine, but it is often considered outdated or of minor interest in preclinical research.
Nevertheless, recent years have seen the appearance of novel and exciting developments that can change the paradigm and revolutionize this modality, such as phase and dark-field contrast methods, energy resolved detectors, sub-micron resolution microCT and high speed 4D imaging to name a few. Many of these new techniques, however, are still in prototype status with limited access.
The limited outcome of novel technological attempts in the past years demonstrate that this is a challenge that cannot be efficiently tackled by a single institute, a small network but requires a combined international effort of interdisciplinary experts in engineering, informatics, physics, chemistry, biology and medicine.
One important issue to be addressed in these new techniques is related to the adverse effect of ionizing radiation. In contrast to human application, no dose limits or guidelines have been defined as yet.
Main objective of the study group is to create a network:
- to increase the visibility of the novel techniques and join efforts for their development
- to provide access of important infrastructures, like synchrotron light sources, own by the members to a broader community
- to support young researchers on X-ray imaging with opportunities for training and internships within the network
- to stimulate new scientific collaborations between the members
Group Review Article
X-ray-Based 3D Virtual Histology – Adding the Next Dimension to Histological Analysis
Albers, J., Pacilé, S., Markus, M.A., Wiart M., Vande Velde, G., Tromba, G., Dullin, C.
- Giuliana Tromba – Trieste
- Christian Morel – Marseille
- Christian Dullin – Göttingen
- Sam Bayat – Grenoble
- Chairs: Monica Abella, Madrid & greetje Vande Velde, Leuven
Interested in joining a Study Group?
You are an ESMI MEMBER? Just log-in to your ESMI member portal, select “edit your membership details” and sign-in to any Study Group you are interested in.
Not a member yet?
Proceed to the Member Portal and sign-in.