Advancing Careers of Early-Stage Imaging Scientists in Academia
made by and for early career imaging scientists
Applications for 2023/24 are accepted between 15 June to 12 July 2023!
The ESMI Mentoring Programme is based on a self-organized one-to-one mentoring (see Tandem* below) accompanied by ESMI-organized actions involving the mentee-peer-group and certain workshops.
Early career imaging scientists in academia who aspire a career in academia –
3rd year PhD to 3rd year postDoc
One year of arranged mentoring (August 2023 to August 2024)
Five seats per year are available
- Mentee-Mentor Tandem*
- Mentee peer-group
- Centrally organized workshop/events
Applications for the term (2023/24) are accepted between 15 June and 12 July.
You are an early career imaging scientists in academia (3rd year PhD to 3rd year postDoc)
You are a member of the ESMI
The following documents need to be provided within the application period:
- Short bio (tabular CV)
- List of publications so far
- Motivation letter (max. one page, this can include e.g. expressing the need for mentoring, current work/life situation incl. reflections/thoughts on future career path and possible hurdles, addressing initial questions and need for support and advice,…)
- The filled application form (template):
A Tandem is defined as an independent and confidential professional alliance free of hierarchy between an early-stage imaging scientist (Mentee) and the more experienced person (Mentor). This alliance forms a one-to-one partnership with a specific mandate (e.g. define aims and decision-making processes, develop a career strategy, set up a research group, transfer faculty-specific knowledge and skills).
Milestones & Concept
The Mentee receives primarily
- Feedback and advice on career planning in academia taking into account the individual life context and skills.
- Individual support and inspiration with respect to the strategic development and effective realization of her/his scientific, academic career.
- Knowledge, contacts, and formal as well as informal rules of the game with respect to working in science and academia.
- Support in reflecting on personal skills/competences and strengths.
15 June – 12 July 2023
CW 29/30 (17-28 July 2023)
Introductory Workshop for Mentees
mid/end August 2023
Matching Process finalised
Introductory Workshop for Mentors
First Tandem Meeting
beginning September 2023
ESMI Coordinating Committee
- Frauke Alves, Göttingen – Chair
- Doris Kracht – ESMI Executive Director
- Dario Longo, Torino – ESMI Board
- Sophy Poty, Montpellier – French youngESMI
- Beatriz Salinas, Madrid – Spanish youngESMI
- Roger Schibli, Zurich/Villingen – ESMI Board
- Marlene Wiart, Lyon – ESMI Board
Opportunities for Mentees
- Analysis of current career and future perspectives in academia
- Self-reflection and self-confidence
- Confidence in decision making processes
- Visibility and positioning in the scientific community
- Raising awareness for structural barriers
- Access to information and career-relevant networks
Opportunities for Mentors
- Transfer of knowledge and experience
- Reflection of own career path
- Improvement of advisory skills and competence
- Positive experience of role as leader
- Enlargement of network also through Mentor-Group
- Add-on to CV