Currently applications are accepted with date of thesis defence between October 2023 and September 2024.
Next application/submission deadline: 30 September 2024
The society’s PhD Award for excellent PhD thesis is offered to encourage and reward outstanding research in the broad field of imaging science conducted by our early career members as part of their doctoral work.
With this competitive award, we aim to recognise outstanding achievements, raise awareness, and highlight the impact of excellent doctoral theses by early career researchers and members of the society.
- The award application has to be submitted to the ESMI with deadline 30 September
- The date of defense of thesis has to be within the current submission period (currently October 2022 to September 2023)
- Applications can be submitted throughout the year
- The nomination has to be supported by the supervisor(s) of the nominee
- Nominees need to be members of the ESMI
- All formal application requirements must be fulfilled
- One candidate from one department/group (same supervisor) can be nominated per year
- Nominations should be addressed to the ESMI office in writing via email
Your application must include:
- the official full-text document of your thesis in a pdf format (send via email or any other resource like WeTransfer etc.)
- the filled application template – download
- accompanied by a letter of support from your supervisor – download
- The use of provided templates is obligatory, all provided data is handled strictly confidential with e.g. respect to ongoing patent restrictions!
- you are invited to present your research within the scope of a Plenary Lecture at the EMIM – the ESMI’s annual meeting
- your excellent work will be acknowledged with 1000€
- you will be officially awarded within the EMIM opening ceremony
- your work will be highlighted at the ESMI website and realted social media resources
- one year ESMI membership
PhD Award Committee
- Wolfgang Weber – Munich (Chair)
- Guy Bormans – Leuven (Co-Chair)
- Jolanda de Vries – Nijmegen
- Uwe Himmelreich – Leuven
- Adriaan Lammertsma – Amsterdam
- Jordi Llop – San Sebastian, Spain
- Adriana Tavares – Edinburgh
- Rafael Torres Martin De Rosales – London
- Giannis Zacharakis – Heraklion