EMIM Young Investigator Award
Application during abstract submission – with deadline 21 November 2023!
The EMIM 2024 Young Investigator Award will be presented to an early stage researcher for her/his extraordinary, original, and innovative research submitted to and presented at the EMIM 2024 in Porto. Application for this prestigious award must be done during abstract submission (with deadline 21 November 2023).
- Doctoral degree should be less than five years ago or not yet achieved (reference date 12 March 2024)
- Submission of an abstract for oral presentation within the deadline 21 Nov. 2023
- The applicant must be the first, main, and presenting author of the work/abstract.
- Applicants who have already received an EMIM YIA award are excluded from the competition.
Selection & evaluation procedure
Step 1: The applicant’s abstract/research is evaluated by at least twelve independent reviewers during a double blind reviewing process in regards to:
- Originality of content
Original in terms of technique or application or both.
- Soundness of conclusions
Do the results support the conclusion?
Significance of results, potential implication on other work
Quality of methodology and data, clarity of presentation
Step 2: In accordance with the review outcome the top 12 ranked candidates are asked to upload a recorded 3-5 minute presentation of their work (video presentation with slides).
IMPORTANT: mandatory video upload between 6 and 11 December 2023 – otherwise the application cannot be considered
Step 3: Based on the abstract, review score, and video presentation, the three finalists are carefully selected and will be invited to present their work during the dedicated plenary session scheduled for Friday 15 March 2024. The EMIM 2024 YIA Committee decides on-site on the winner.
Particular attention has been paid to the best possible way of the presentation of your posters: two poster sessions are scheduled – with no competitive sessions in parallel – in order to
- enhance knowledge exchange,
- provide you with the best opportunity to put your work up for discussion,
- create a collaborative environment to learn from each other and enlarge your network.
Guided thematic poster walks are scheduled. Each poster walk is chaired by two chairpersons and will result in one EMIM 2024 Poster Award. The awards will be presented during the closing session scheduled for Friday 15 March 2024.
Student Awards by Study Groups
Traditionally the Study Groups invite selected early career scientists to present their work as pitches or flash talks during the study group meetings. Traditionally, a prize is awarded for the best student presentation, chosen by the audience or a dedicated committee.
Support for Reconciling Family and Career
You submitted an abstract and are excited to present your work in Porto but face childcare problems that could be solved by bringing an accompanying person? We’d be happy to enable and support your participation in the following way:
What we offer
- The ESMI covers either the difference between a single and a double room or the costs for an additional single room (up to 300€).
- An EMIM registration for the accompanying person and your child to enable access to the venue.
How to apply
- Just send an informal request by email summarizing the need for support and your abstract title/ID along with the names of your child and the accompanying person (data needed for registration).
- After your stay, we need the original invoice proving the additional costs incurred due to childcare.